Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Can I still upgrade my RAM and Video card even though I have shared memory on my computer?

I really want to get a new graphics card because my card sucks and my computer isn't as fast as it could be so I wanted to upgrade. At first I thought my graphics card was fine until I played it on my friends computer. I couldn't believe it! Shiny water, lime green grass; I want that. Now, I want to upgrade but I heard I have shared memory; not very sure what that is but I think it's all connected. Is it possible to upgrade?|||Yes.

Some motherboards have features so that they can act as graphics card by 'sharing' memory with RAM(that is, it takes out free memory from RAM when not in use) and helps you do lots of stuff like playing games etc.

But most of 'onboard/integrated' graphics cards are not so good as 'external' graphics card(which u wanna buy).



But yes, u can disable the 'sharing' feature of onboard graphics card with its software or through BIOS setup(F2 or del at comp. startup).

And then install ur new external graphics card. And Enjoy... :)



-----------

Do consult your motherboard documentation or search google.|||Yes you can. RAM Only, you cannot upgrade a video card in a laptop.|||No you cant you are screwed!

Believe me I've been in the same situation as you with regards to this dilemma and its very frustrating!

Your computer is likely using a combination of sound video and possibly modem all in one slot. The computer manufacturers almost always use these on lower-end units to save money and the card works by using your cpu's ram rather than having its own dedicated memory...Unfortunately for you the only way to upgrade or change a system like this is to get a new mother board or new computer all together|||Shared memory means you have a built in grapjics card which uses some of your main memory. You can still add a graphics card but you need to find out what motherboard you have and which cards are compatible with it. You are obviously inexperienced from the question so I suggest you try to find a local shop to do it for you. Good Luck and hope this helps.|||Usually a shared memory system (what shared memory does is set aside a certain amount of the available RAM specifically for video, and that's usually around 4 Meg which is not good enough for almost any kind of game) has a jumper that you set on the motherboard or a setting in the BIOS that turns off the onboard video. Your motherboard manual would be the best place to look and see if your PC allows for this. What type of system do you have?

What model of HP is it? I have some HP Dx2400 systems at work, for instance. Usually, the HP site would have manuals online for you to look at, but you would have to know your model for it to do look ups for you.|||On a computer with an intergrated video card (video connector on motherboard) when you upgrade system memory, you are affecting both system and video memory. If you disable the onboard video and get a video card, then you won't be sharing any memory and the video card will have its own memory. Go to www.newegg.com and get a new video card for best video performance. Still add more system meory.. won't hurt a bit..

No comments:

Post a Comment