Friday, April 27, 2012

Why is my computer sharing DDR2 RAM with my video card?

I run Win7 Pro 64 bit, i have 4 Gigs of DDR2 ram and an intergrated ATI 4200 Radeon HD video card, my computer is dedicated 2 Gigs of my RAM to my video card, which is WAY more than i want 512mb -1 gig max imo, is there anyway to change this that anyone knows of?|||AMD ATI Radeon HD 4200 is an on-board graphics chip. On-board graphics chip is a shared memory type i.e. it shares RAM.



There is no way to reduce the amount of shared RAM. You shouldn't worry about it as it will be used only if you open too many windows. My ATI has 1 Gb memory, dxdiag shows me 4 Gb can be used by my graphics card, but my task masnger shows just 1.79 Gb of my 8 Gb RAM is being used.



Although 2GB of RAM is dedicated to your graphics card it doesn't mean all of your 2 GB RAM is being utilized at once. It really depends on what you are doing.



You can try doing this:



Go to control panel and select system, then click on advanced, then click on performence settings, then change the visual tab to change for best peorformence, then click on advanced then under virtual memory, decrease the value, and your ram will increases but the video card will crave less, therefore speeding up your PC.|||That is the problem with integrated video (on-board). If it is a desktop you can install a video card. On a laptop only a few let you do that and it is pricey. You can, however, change the amount of RAM dedicated in the BIOS. Where in the BIOS is dependent on the BIOS itself as there are different manufacturers and they set things up differently.|||No bcause you have integrated graphics.

No comments:

Post a Comment